Resources & Links
Avoid being Skimmed at the ATM
ATM “Skimming” is an illegal activity which involves the installation of devices that are undetectable by ATM users.
These devices secretly record bank account data when the customer inserts a card into an ATM machine. Criminals can then encode the stolen data onto a blank card and use it to steal money from the customer’s bank account. (Click on image to view larger image.)
HOW IT WORKS:
- The criminal creates a skimmer which is usually made out of plastic or plaster and looks very much like the original card reader. This skimmer is then placed directly over the ATM card reader, undetectable by the customer. As customers insert their ATM card into the false skimmer, the bank account information which is stored on the cards magnetic strip is “skimmed” or stolen and usually stored on some type of electronic device.
- In conjunction with the skimming device, a hidden camera is often used, in order to record the customer’s Personal Identification Number (PIN #)
- In lieu of a hidden camera, a keyboard overlay is sometimes placed directly over the original keypad. This overlay is undetectable by the customer and will record the user as they are typing in their PIN #.
HOW TO AVOID BEING SKIMMED:
* Inspect the bank ATM, grocery store ATM, gas pump or any other card reader before using it. Be suspicious if you see anything loose, crooked, damaged or if you notice adhesive/tape residue. An original card reader is usually concave in shape (curving inward); while the skimmer is more convex (curving outward).
* When entering your PIN #, block the keypad with your free hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number.
* Be aware of “money trapping.” This is where the criminal attaches a device to the cash dispenser, trapping the customer’s money and retrieves the money after the customer leaves the ATM area.
* Be wary of ATM’s in tourist locations, as they are often the target of skimmers.
* When using an ATM, it is much safer to use a reputable bank. Avoid using ATM’s at grocery stores, pharmacies, fast food locations, etc.
As you are probably already know, there have been several security compromises involving large chains and retail outlets over the past few years and some in the most recent months. As soon as GNO is alerted of such breaches, we immediately take the appropriate steps to mitigate risk, and safeguard our members’ information. In some situations, if we feel that your credit &/or debit card safety has been compromised, we will cancel your GNO card(s) and reissue a new card(s) for your safety.
What you should do if you feel that you are at risk:
- Check your account balance(s) often to ensure no fraud is occurring
- Immediately report suspicious activityMake certain that GNO has your most up-to-date contact information in our data base
- And, if a new card arrives in the mail from GNO, IMMEDIATELY stop using the old card, destroy it and activate the new one
BudgetSmart is a new and exciting software program now available on our website. This easy-to-use software tool uses simple graphics, “pop-up” boxes and bar charts to help you manage your money more effectively. You can use the program to:
- Establish a budget
- Track spending
- View tips for improving areas of overspending or inadequate saving
- Experiment with “what if” scenarios to determine how a major purchase or change in income would impact your budget
Click on the budget smart logo or here to download the program to your computer FREE of charge, and you’re on your way to creating your own personalized budget!
CheckRight is a web-based checking account management education module designed to teach you how to manage a checking account.
Use CheckRight if:
- You are looking to open a checking account for the first time or
- You have had difficulty handling an account in the past.
Among other things, CheckRight will help you learn how to:
- Open an account
- Write checks
- Make deposits
- Maintain a check register
- Reconcile an account
- Create a spending plan
CheckRight is a self-study program that allows you to learn at your own pace. Once you have read through the chapters, you will be directed to a quiz that will test your knowledge on checking accounts. You will be able to view the results and you have the option to send the results to the credit union via e-mail.
Safeguarding Your Information
Whether sending email, paying bills online or internet shopping, we all enjoy the convenience electronically transmitted data provides. But, with this increase in speed and convenience also comes increased risk. GNO FCU is strongly committed to the safety & confidentiality of your records. Please take a moment to read this important information on how to be safe when conducting business online.
Be aware of phishing scams with text or recorded messages sent to your mobile phone stating that there is a problem regarding your credit or debit card account. This type of scam is used as an attempt to steal your personal financial information!
Please know, GNO will never ask you for this type of information.
Never give out sensitive information such as account numbers, credit card numbers, social security numbers, or passwords over the phone or via email. If you have received or responded to a fraudulent message, please contact GNO immediately.
Score Power gives you instant access to your credit score and your Equifax Credit Report online!
To report fraud on your credit report call:
*Score Power is a registered trademark of Equifax.